Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Subjective Vs. Objective

Subjective claims are basically an expression of belief. Subjective claims, also known as opinions, could not be proven wrong or right. These types of claims are based upon personal preference. An example of this would be my two little brothers and their opinions on video games. According to them, any video game is worthwhile, and considered "fun," or "cool." However, because this is a subjective claim, their personal opinions on video games alone cannot be held accountable for everyone else's. For an example, if you were to ask me what I thought of these types of games, my answer would be the very opposite. Because I have no interest in video games, my subjective claim towards this would be "Video games are boring, end of discussion." Fun? No. Cool? I don't think so. Therefore, subjective claims are solely based on the person responding's beliefs.

Objective claims, on the other hand, are factual claims. One example that just slipped into my mind would be from a kid that I tutor at work. Based on this little third grader, 1/2 is equal to 2/4. When I asked him how he knew this was true, this intelligent boy showed me two ways to get there: by simply reducing through division, or by drawing two pictures of each fraction and comparing them. 1/2 = 2/4 is an objective claim because anyone who is up to this level of math can plainly see (and agree to) this kid's claim. 1/2 is indeed equivalent to 2/4, and can be proven through the two simple methods that was given above. Bottom line, objective claims are claims that can be supported.

2 comments:

  1. I like your example of video games. I have an older brother who for my whole life has sat in front of the TV and played video games. He would always say they are so cool and so fun, but I always begged to differ. Even now as a senior in college we get in the argument of whether these games he plays are actually fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I like how you used video games as one of your examples. I’m not a big fan of playing video games either, but that opinion varies and changes depending on what video game my friends want me to play with them. So I definitely agree that video games preference is totally based on opinion or subjective claims. I also like how you mentioned how opinions “could not be proven wrong or right,” because I think some of us missed out on noticing that part about subjective claims. You also offered a good objective claim example by providing one about one of the kids that you tutor, and how he brilliantly solved the problem. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete