Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Vague/Ambiguous

For a long while, my mother would always tell me to eat healthy foods. She, being someone who is very careful with her diet and food habits, would always tell me the same things over and over again: "Don't consume foods with too many chemicals, they are bad for you. Try to eat foods that are natural, they are the most healthy." Every time she told me this, I would automatically assume that any type of food with chemicals, or containing artificial ingredients are bad. In addition, every time I came across any label that claims it is "100% natural" or something of that sort would be perceived as something my mother would support me eating. However, it never once crossed my mind that that very statement my mom always reminds me of is very vague, even though it may not seem like it at first. Until a few days ago (during my nutrition class lecture), I never gave it much thought as to what exaclty "natural" is in some of our foods today, and what types of chemicals there are out there.
From my nutrition class, my professor pointed out that not all chemicals are bad. In contrast, not all natural things are good. An example of this would be tobacco. Tobacco is "natural," yet it is the very opposite of being healthy for your body. My professor also noted that everything is made of chemicals. Even us, as human beings, are made of chemicals; therefore proving her point that not all chemicals are necessarily bad. After thinking about it, I guess it's just our ideal stereotype of what chemicals and natural things are, that brings us to thinking every item consisting of chemicals would fall under the "bad" category, and vice versa for "natural" things. Therefore, going back to the very quote that started this whole subject, telling someone to not consume foods with too many chemicals can be interpreted in many different ways. Although from this case, we can all assume that my my mother meant that it was bad chemicals in foods that we should avoid, she should include this in her statement next time so that it wouldn't be too ambiguous. For the second half of that quotation, she should maybe replace the word foods with fruits, and possibly replace natural with organic or healthy to specify what she means. That would make her whole statement entirely different: more specific and detailed.

2 comments:

  1. Quang,

    You brought up a very good point! First I would like to say is, I totally agree that what your mom said is indeed a vague sentence. She claims that foods made of chemicals are bad. Other's can have different opinions on that, such as the chemicals in a science lab. I too took a nutrition class, NUFS08 if that's the one you took, and the teacher said that sushi is mainly natural food, but raw fish isn't exactly healthy because it has a lot of bacteria. Just by reading your post, you seem to have the idea down of what a vague and ambiguous sentence is because people can get it mixed around. Vitamins aren't necessarily fresh, but they are healthy for your body when consumed at the right amounts. Although, there is one minor mistake I found, change "quote" to "quotation" because "quote" is a verb, not a noun. Overall, nice post, you have it down,

    -PapaPixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey PapaPixie!

    Thanks for including your knowledge of chemicals and such in this comment! And yes, it is Nufs8 that I'm taking, haha. Also, thanks catching that error, I'll be sure to change it as soon as I finish writing this. =)

    ReplyDelete