Friday, November 5, 2010

Appeal to Emotion: Fear

In this chapter, there are three types of appeal that are related to emotion: fear, spite, and pity. The main appeal that strikes me would be the appeal to fear. The reason why this appeal sticks out to me most is because I believe fear makes people do irrational things beyond belief. For an example: the series of SAW movies. The mastermind behind the life or death games strikes the emotion of fear in people, thus making them go out of their way to win the game and survive. Others, on the other hand, get too scared and end up killing themselves in the process. In these movies, you can clearly see that fear is the main emotion that everything wraps around. It is what causes people to do things they normally would never do in order to survive or move onto the next challenge.

In my personal experiences, fear would be the most powerful appeal in the three given ones above. If I were placed in a situation where my worst fears came true, I would most likely do anything and everything to get rid of that fear, even if it means the irrational: such as those "players" in SAW games. They go as far as killing people, injuring themselves, shedding blood, and going through painful challenges just to survive: all because of fear. Therefore, fear is what strikes me most in the three. Pity may be another strong emotion, but I think fear would push people further than pity would.

3 comments:

  1. Hi QUANG7,
    Good job on this post; I thought your ideas were well stated and clearly laid out, which made them easy to understand. I totally agree with your statement about how fear makes people do irrational things. In many cases, I believe people are driven by their fear. For example, people drive safely because they are afraid of what will happen if they don't, not because they like to drive the speed limit. Fear is the root of many of our actions. Your SAW movie example was easy to understand because of the popularity of the movies and the amount of fear that is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched all the Saw series of movies and I definitely know what you are talking about. The appeal to fear is a powerful motivating force for I think anyone because no one wants to have their fears come true. You used an extreme case of an appeal to fear in your example but I think it is good because it shows people the extremity, such as harming themselves or killing others, that people will go to in order to regain control and lose their fears. However I think it might be good to add that people don’t have to be afraid for their lives for this appeal to work. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey QUANG7, I really liked your example using the SAW movies. It definitely shows what lengths some people will go through based solely on fear. This fear can be of anything really, which your example shows fear of dying or pain being the main motivation. I can probably say that if I was put in the same situation as the people in SAW were put in, then I would definitely be motivated by fear to do anything I possibly could to survive. Whatever the appeal to emotion applies to, I still believe all of them have their own levels of impact depending on the person.

    ReplyDelete