Saturday, October 23, 2010

Further Discussion.......

One concept that I still feel as if I have not properly understood would be to determine whether or not an argument is good/bad, strong/weak, valid/invalid. I feel as if I have a general understanding, but nothing too in depth. Although I can differentiate between any of those listed, I don't think I can really explain it thoroughly to someone who doesn't, meaning I, myself, still don't fully understand those concepts well enough to teach it back to someone.

As of right now, these are my understandings between each distinct term:
STRONG/WEAK ARGUMENT: A strong argument has premises that supports the claim, while a weak one has premises that also support the claim. However, the strong argument has premises that show how the claim/conclusion is for sure correct, while the weaker argument has premises that may be counterclaimed against.
VALID/INVALID ARGUMENT: A valid argument has an argument that is logical and makes sense. The premises given are all threaded together to make sense and prove that the claim is true. An invalid one has claims that are not true, or the logic doesn't add up so that the conclusion is true.
BAD/GOOD ARGUMENT: A good argument is somewhat similar to the 2 pairs above. A good argument includes premises that are true, and is hard to argue against while a bad one gives illogical thinking and reasoning, and can easily be argued against.


After doing some research, here are the links I've come up with that might further someone's understanding of these things. After reading through these websites, my understanding of these things are a bit clearer than what they used to be.

strong/weak: http://teachers.sheboygan.k12.wi.us/tgentine/documents/StrvwkArg7_1.pdf
valid/invalid: http://kslinker.com/VALID-AND-INVALID-ARGUMENTS.html
bad/good: http://www.springerlink.com/content/xqgr4816p6ftu63e/

No comments:

Post a Comment