Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Final Week, Question #3

One concept that have stuck with me throughout the semester even though we've learned about a handful of them would have to be how to determine whether or not an argument was valid/invalid, and strong/weak. For some reason, this seems to be the one thing that sticks out the most to me, I think partly because of how confusing it all was to me in the beginning. Unlike some of the easier terms, where I read about and got right away, I had to do some additional questioning and research to fully understand this one. I believe that this was the most confusing to me because sometimes it was hard to determine whether or not an argument is valid, invalid, strong or weak due to the premises given to us. Some of the premises seemed to counter with each other, thus making it a bit hard to understand. Even though this caused me the most trouble in learning, it stuck to my brain like glue. Now, if someone were to ask me how to determine of an argument or conclusion are any of those things, I would have no trouble explaining to them how to determine this.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with this post completely haha! I really thought valid/invalid and strong/weak arguments stuck to me the most. After all, what did we mainly learn about overall from the class? Well at least what I learned most of all was how to argue. I used to be really weak at arguing, but now I have pretty much improved both the way I speak and the way I reason. I used to be a tad bit irrational, but irrationality comes in everybody. Now it is reduced compared to before. I also agree with how hard it was to understand the difference because the wording was very TRICKY. It was like saying the definition in reversed order which sounds wrong but it is actually right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quang7,
    I too feel that these concepts stuck with me the most. They are the concepts that stuck the most because they are the basis of the class. When we first started the class, the concepts were hard to grasp, but as we continued on during the weeks we watched as this concept expanded and learned about the different that branched from those basic concepts. I liked how we were to break down different arguments and actually explain the different parts of the arguments. This way were able to practice the concepts and have them become embedded in our memories. Great post and good job this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey QUANG7, I definitely agree that this is one of the most important things we've learned this semester. Not only was it useful to know in class, but it can be useful to us in our personal lives for the rest of our lives. Like you, it was a little confusing at first for me also, but after awhile I finally understood it. I'm glad I understand it though, because this is something I could use to help myself through life by becoming a more analytical person in day to day activities or even when I decide to vote!

    ReplyDelete